Outdated wiring has the possibility to lead to problems that can highly inconvenience you in your property.
There is a high probability that you will find yourself in the dark many times because of blown fuses and frequently tripped circuits.
If your wiring is outdated, you may not have sufficient power for all of your devices, appliances and lights to operate at the same time.
Additionally, there is also the probability that you will receive electric shocks frequently.
Outdated wiring can also lead to unexplained increases in your power bill.
Not only can outdated wiring complicate your life, it can also render you homeless. This can happen if faulty wiring sparks and starts a fire in your residence.
You can however stay a step ahead and avoid having to deal with an electrical emergency by understanding the signs of outdated wiring that we have outlined in the article below.
Advantages of Rewiring Your Residence
By rewiring your home, you can end up saving a lot of bucks.
Although it sounds almost unbelievable that you can save money by spending money, it is actually true when it comes to electrical maintenance.
A faulty switchboard (circuit breakers or fuses) will increase the amount of energy that is consumed in your home.
Additionally, with a switchboard, electricity will not flow as it should. If there is any leakage in your underground(delete) wiring, it can also translate to a higher rate of electrical usage in your property.
Through carrying out the necessary repairs, you can end up saving a tidy sum that you could have otherwise used to pay for utility expenses.
If you use an electric heater, HWS or AC in your property, your residence may not be receiving optimum heat from this appliance due to faulty wiring. heat/cool more efficiently when the wiring is updated to the latest standards.
With an updated electrical wiring system, you can get to enjoy much warmer winters + Cooler summers. An updated wiring system will also translate to brighter lights meaning a better ambiance in your residence.
Outdated wiring does not provide sufficient power for your gadgets and as such it can damage your equipment.
In the past, sixty amperes were enough to power all the major devices at home.
Today, most require at least 200 amperes to power air conditioning units, TVs, computers and other electronic appliances. If the gadgets in your home do not have access to sufficient voltage, they can cease to function properly prematurely.
Watch Out for The Signs Below as They Are an Indicator That Your Home Has Outdated Wiring:
1. Dim Ceiling Lighting/ Flickering
Dimmed ceiling lights do not just indicate that one of your bulbs is about to blow out.
For the lighting design experts at Gary Hamer Interiors, “most times, ceiling lights dim because there is inadequate electricity flowing through your wiring and as such, they illuminate weakly. This can worsen your mood, home ambience and lessen the functionality of a space that good lighting design intends.”
2. Smoke from Power Outlets, Appliances or Lights
When you notice smoke coming from your appliances, lights or any part of your power outlets, you need to take action as fast as possible.
The smoke indicates that something is on fire and if this continues, your house can end up turning into a ball of inferno!
For the counselling and psychotherapy professionals at Living Consciously, “losing your home is one of the biggest traumas that can happen in someone’s life. The challenges of evacuating, relocating and building up a life again after a residential fire are monumental. These events may not be in our control but we can try and limit the possibilities as much as within our power.”
3. Your Electronics Are Noisy
The electricity in your home should run noiselessly without producing any noise.
What you may think is paranormal activity actually indicates that you have outdated wiring in your property.
Noises such as crackling, sizzling or buzzing usually point to an electrical issue such as a faulty electrical panel, faulty fuse box, an overloaded circuit or an electric short.
4. There Is A Burning Smell
You can at times notice that there is an odour of burning material around your electrical system or you may notice a burning smell in your house that you cannot trace.
When there is a burning that is related to the electrical system, (delete as candles have no smell usually) very strong acrid smell similar to burning rubber
The smell may be present on some days and absent on others. When you notice such an odour, it is an indication that the wires in your home are starting to melt.
5. You Have Discoloured Outlets in Your Residence
One major sign of an outdated and ageing wiring system is the presence of discoloration around the electrical outlet, on its cover or on the wall.
The area can at times appear like it is scorched with a brown or dark discoloration. This is usually an indicator that the wiring nestled behind the wall is getting too hot.
6. You Can Notice Warm Spots On Your Walls
The electricity that is being dispersed in your house should not make any of outlets hot.
This is because electric power is usually transported behind the walls protected by a coated wiring that prevents electricity from escaping.
Unfortunately, as your wiring gets older, the coating can lose its strength and thus lack the power to trap electric current as it should. This causes electricity to escape and slowly heat your walls. It is the reason why you can sometimes see spots on your walls.
This usually puts your residence at great risk of getting razed down by a fire.
7. Your Wiring Is Made from Aluminium
In the 60s and 70s, most of the electrical connections in homes were done using aluminium.
Aluminium wiring poses a great safety risk since its wires tend to become loose over time. The loose connections tend to overheat and can cause a fire once electrical appliances are connected to the outlets.
According to the custom house designers at All Image Architects, “today most homes use copper wiring as it is more stable, reliable and conducive. If you are using aluminium wiring, you should consider updating your connection to copper wiring, it’s more efficient and safer for your home.”
8. Your House Is Wired Using Knob and Tube Wiring
Knob and tube wiring originated in the 1880’s, have metal conduits and as such, it is highly outdated.
It was last used in the 70s and it had rubber insulation which can break down and expose the bare wires of the electrical system.
If the wires do not have effective protective coating, they can be touched by air and moisture which increases the risk of an electrical short or fire in your home.
9. Your Wiring Is Frayed
As your wiring ages, it is highly susceptible to fraying. This increases the risk of a person getting electrocuted exponentially.
Fraying can also the risk of fire and malfunction in your electrical devices.
Worried that your wiring may be in need of an update? Get in touch with us today.
Author Bio: Janet Harlow